Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the purpose of a Preliminary Notice?

A. A Preliminary Notice establishes your right to file a Mechanic's Lien against a property if you

have provided or will provide labor, materials, equipment, or services that will improve real

property such as home or other buildings.


Q. When should a Preliminary Notice be served?

A. Preferably on the date work starts or materials are provided, or as soon thereafter as possible.


Q. What usually happens after a Lien is recorded?

A. One of four things will normally happen;

1. The amount owing is paid;

2. The amount is compromised and paid,

3. The lien is extended, or

4. Within 90 days, you start the foreclosure of the property that was improved.


Q. We have a court judgment against a subcontractor. Can you help us collect

the amount owed?

A. Pacific Coast Lien Services does not collect court judgments, but highly

recommends that you contact Pacific Rim Commercial Collections to collect both

judgments and other claims against subcontractors and other debtors. Their contact

information is on this site.


Q. Does your company provide legal advice?

A. No. We are not a law firm and do not provide legal advice.


Q. Is there a membership fee to use your lien service?

A. Absolutely not.


Q. Generally, how long does it take to process a preliminary notice or mechanic’s


A. Most are processed within 5 to 7 days of our receiving the information we need.


Q. Some mechanics lien services require a minimum number of preliminary

notices, to be requested by contractors each month. Do you have any


A. No. We appreciate every client and have no minimums.


Q. Is an unlicensed contractor entitled to file a mechanic’s lien in California?

A. If the work performed required a contractor’s license ($500 or more), and the

contractor had no license, he or she cannot file a mechanic’s lien.

5776 Lindero Canyon Road, Suite D-482
Westlake Village, CA 91362